1. Make use of ceiling fans. Although they will not actually lower the temperature and they consume energy themselves, they will make you feel much more comfortable at a reduced costs compared to lowering your thermostat. Your efforts may be counter productive, however, if you forget to turn the fan off when leaving the room.
2. Close blinds and curtains. Windows are one of the biggest culprits of allowing heat into the home. These efforts can be taken a step further by adding UV film although this project can become expensive depending on how you go about it.
3. Replace the filters every 30 days. In the summer, your system is running almost non stop. Filters become dirty very quickly and cause your system to run less efficiently. The couple dollars that a filter costs will easily save that expense on energy bills while prolonging the life of the equipment.
4. Keep the thermostat set at 78 degrees or higher. In Orlando, 78 degrees is sort of a magical number. It is the sweet spot if you will on energy efficiency. It is the biggest bang for the buck when comparing comfort and energy consumption. Every degree lower than 78 will cause a substantial increase in cooling costs with diminishing returns to comfort.
5. Caulk doors and windows. Over time, joints become cracked and is a great way for air to infiltrate buildings. Ten dollars with of investment of a couple tubes of caulk will help you save substantially on your cooling costs this summer.
These are the best five ways to save on your cooling costs this summer. They will also help your system from working harder than it needs to and could prevent the need for air conditioning repairs. If you would like more information on how to save money on your air conditioning and heating costs, contact the experts today at Melco HVAC Services of Orlando.